First we will go over a common ingredient found in lip products, Petrolatum.
Petrolatum can also be called: Mineral Grease (petrolatum), Mineral Jelly, Petrolatum, Petrolatum Amber, Petrolatum White, Petroleum Jelly, And Yellow Petrolatum
It is found in many make-up products, but mostly in lipstick, lip balm, and lotions.
- Petrolatum is often NOT fully refined in the US, which means it can be contaminated with toxic chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
- PAHs exposure (like skin exposure over extended periods of time) has been associated with cancer
- There is also a concern of skin irritation and allergies
The European Union classifies Petrolatum as a carcinogen and restricts its use in cosmetics, but the U.S. is behind on these regulations. That is why it’s important for you to choose products without Petrolatum (or it’s other names listed) if you are a personal care/cosmetics consumer.
*Remember you have the EWG’s Skin Deep website to help in rating the safety of your products*
Moving on to the product comparison for today: Lip Balm/Conditioners.
Note: I used Blistex DCT and Lip Medex for years growing up. I have been using Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lip Balm for many years now as well and love it for a chapstick (EWG rating 1/10, low hazard). Last month I bought a Beautycounter Lip Conditioner and absolutely LOVE it. It is my new fav!
Blistex DCT (Daily Conditioning Treatment)
EWG rating: 7/10 (High Hazard)
Contains harmful ingredients like Retinyl Palmitate, Oxybenzone, Phenol, Petrolatum
- Endocrine Disruption
- High risk of developmental and reproductive toxicity
- Moderate risk of allergies & immunotoxicity
- Contains ingredients linked to cancer
Beautycounter Lip Conditioner
EWG Verified (EWG’s strictest standards for transparency and health)
- Avoids ingredients of concern, like Petrolatum and Phenol
- Made with avocado oil, shea butter, meadowfoam seed oil, and jojoba oil
- Ingredients are fully disclosed
I recommend staying clear of products made of Petrolatum and would opt for a safer choice. If you want me to help you review a product just ask!
Below is a link to see the Lip Conditioner from Beautycounter for yourself!