There are A LOT of shampoos out there….
On a mission to finding the SAFEST shampoo out there (no harmful or questionable ingredients) I sorted through the most popular shampoos, best rated non toxic shampoos, the highest performing shampoos and most cost effective shampoos and found SEVEN brands to compare. Here they are from “BEST” to”WORST”
Here is a visual graph of the 7 shampoos I compared:
Further explanation and product links:
- EWG Verified- No ingredients of concern (no health, ecotoxicity, and/or contamination concerns)
- Overall good reviews from users
- A few experienced dry hair and a couple had scalp irritation.. I would suggest starting with the Sensitive Skin Fragrance Free option.
- As will all these shampoos, make sure to follow directions and rinse with lukewarm/cold water for best results.
- More expensive compared to others BUT I have read on multiple unaffiliated websites that this a good top performing AND safe shampoo option.
- Not on EWG Skin Deep for a rating, but ingredients check out to be safe and not of concern
- PS: Checkout Hairprint for non-toxic hair color as well (if you have dark hair)
- Rated 2/10 on EWG Skin Deep (1-10 scale, 10 being toxic)
- The two ‘flagged” ingredients are potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate- these are preservatives and are considered the least toxic preservatives.
- Good reviews from users, some experienced dry hair, make sure to follow directions while using and wash with lukewarm/cold water for best results.
- A decent start if you are working down the “toxic: ladder slowly
- Cost effective and can be bought at your local health food store
- The Best EWG rated Acure shampoo is Vivacious Volume (2/10)
- Others have fragrance or have limited data on certain ingredients
Look out for Greenwashing!!
- Claims: “natural,” “100% vegetarian ingredients”
- Only TWO of their shampoos, Miracle Therapy Moisture Shampoo and Hawaiian Detox Shampoo have EWG scores lower than 5.
- Most formulas contain: Fragrance and Lilial- a synthetic scent ingredient associated with dermatitis and a possible endocrine disruptor.
- These include: Mega Moisture Coconut Milk: 5/10, Frizz Free Gardenia, Color Treated Plumeria, Volumizing Mango= 6/10
- Claims “Sulfate free,” “contains natural extracts,” “100% vegan”
- Best seller- Hydrate Shampoo- is 5/10 on EWG Skin Deep
- Geraniol (fragrance ingredient) which is suspected to be an environmental toxin and is a known immune system toxicant/allergen.
- Contains the preservative Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) linked to contact dermatitis and prolonged exposure may damage the nervous system.
- EverPure Sulfate Free Volume Shampoo is 5/10 on EWG Skin Deep
- Claims: “Sulfate free,” “Natural botanicals”
- Contains Fragrance, (MIT), PEGs, and other endocrine/immune disrupting chemicals
I hope you found this information valuable! Reach out to me if you have any questions!
*This page contains Amazon affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase