Change your thoughts and you change your world. -Norman Vincent Peale
I will be honest here and let you know that I did not fully grasp the concept I am going to share with you right now until very recently. It is actually funny, yet also very frustrating in a way, to look back on all the times were I thought I understood this topic, but I really was just skimming the surface. I am talking about the power of your thoughts.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world. -Mahatma Gandhi
Even the SUPER popular quote above, that you see all over inspirational blogs, in stores, on walls in homes, had little effect on me because I was thinking too big. I understood it, but I couldn’t see how I could apply it.
Don’t get me wrong, I love to help people and animals, and I care about the future of our planet so of course I wanted to help. But I was over thinking it. I thought that I needed to do something HUGE in order for it to matter. Like my change needed to help every person on the planet, every animal, or the entire Earth itself at once.
I don’t know about you, but when I get overwhelmed, I freeze up and get discouraged. This often leads to a general feeling of being lost or confusion, which leads to frustration, and then coping with something that comforts me. Avoidance comes up next…and the cycle repeats itself. What was suppose to be inspiration, was actually giving me anxiety. I thought I would have to do it all, and I didn’t know how.
So what shift happened, where I was able to break away from that “dead-end cycle of doom” way of reacting to a beautiful Gandhi quote (or just creating positive changes in general)?
A simple shift…well not super simple… but it really is just one small change that creates a cascade reaction. It allows for a new pattern of thinking and behaving to begin.
I feel like this is a very appropriate time to throw in another popular quote around the topic of change.
I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. -Mother Teresa
Yes! Preach, Mother Teresa!
Once you realize this, you are playing with the big leagues. The world is your oyster because once you realize you can change your thought patterns, you’ll realize that you create your own reality. You can learn to manifest the life that you desire. But it all starts from within you.
Before we go on, I want to also get another message across that is near and dear to my heart working in the fitness industry. I see this everyday in person and online.
We are led to believe that in order to make our physical bodies change (loose weight, build muscle, get a 6-pack, etc.) we need to diet, work out super hard and never ever rest. For some people, if they rest they feel weak and not significant. They need to constantly be moving or something will catch up to them. Maybe they think the thing that will catch up to them in their conscious (or subconscious) mind is pounds, or maybe its emotions around an uncomfortable event. It could many different things really. Everyone has their ways for coping for dealing with negative emotions so no judgement here. It can be hard to break these cycles, but it is possible. On the other side is transformation towards a life full of joy and happiness. Being too busy to listen to your thoughts and emotions will not lead you there. Because if you can’t listen to yourself and therefore learn to support, care, and love yourself- how can you do it with others?
If you are ready to make positive shifts in your life, here are some tips you can try to help you in this transformational work:
- Pause before you react to something. This can help you realize when you can make a shift to a more desirable outcome. When you have a thought pop in your head, lead with curiosity, not judgment- towards it. You can question it and begin to investigate where it stems from.
- Serious about making positive shifts in your life? Try to spend 5-10 minutes a day, without distractions, and allow yourself to sit and meditate to really listen to your thoughts. Grab a journal and write down whatever comes to you. Let your feelings come up and try to accept them without judgement. Emotions are what make us human and we all experience them. If any heavy, traumatic feelings come up from your past do not hesitate to seek support and help through this process. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and you can reclaim your story and write your own narrative. Often times we need guidance and support from others to help us along the way.
- Create positive affirmations around and previous blocks or limiting beliefs.
- For example, if you grew up in a household that was either abusive or where you did not feel safe for one reason or another, you may be holding onto that story you grew to believe as a child. Maybe you remember thinking or feeling “I am not safe.”
- To create a shift and change the narrative, try to let go of negative associations of that thought/belief and thank it for doing it’s job of protecting you. Thank it and let it go, send it to the light, and welcome in positive thoughts into your life.
- A great way to initiate some movement towards positive thinking is through affirmations. An appropriate affirmation for the example above could be to “I am safe.” or “I have always felt safe and secure.”
- Here’s the biggest step to this: you must believe the affirmation is true for you when you say it for it to have a positive effect. If you get your feelings, emotions, and energy behind you and believe it, the universe will support this feeling.
- Apply this concept to whatever you find to be your biggest limiting beliefs. Create your own affirmations, repeat them daily, believe them, and invite miracles into your life.
The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance. -Nathaniel Branden
Take home message:
You can choose today to change your thought pattern, which can then change your energetic vibrations. These inner changes can shift your outer world to support your dreams and visions.
So what small changes are you willing to make to support your wildest dreams? Start with your thoughts and you’ll soon move mountains.
I hope this message inspires and resonates with you in one way or another. If it does and you want to share your thoughts feel free to comment below or email me and we can connect!
ps: Remember change is inevitable in life, and it is proof that you CAN change your life too! Start by looking inward. Take small steps, practice daily, lead with compassion, care and patience. If you can align your thoughts, beliefs, and emotions to your desired goal/outcome- the universe will support you!